The Rocky Glen amusement park was conceived and built by Arthur Frothingham in 1886. Located in Moosic, the park was a popular recreational venue that featured special ethnic celebrations reflecting the region’s diversity. For many years, the park was a favorite stop on the Laurel Line electric trolley system. The park closed in 1987 after 101 years of operation. Little remains today, and the site is part of Glenmaura National Golf Club. The site has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) for its historic significance with a public marker. The Lackawanna Historical Society will unveil the Rocky Glen Pennsylvania Historical Marker on Saturday, August 9th during a day of special events. The marker will provide a permanent reminder of this important part of our local heritage. The Society will host a “Day of Amusement” to observe the dedication of the new marker. From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Catlin House, a festival will feature a special sale on maps, books, and other interesting ephemera, as well as a twenty percent discount on all items in the Society’s gift shop. At 2 p.m., the Society will hold the official marker dedication ceremony at Rocky Glen. The day will conclude with a reception at the Electric City Trolley Museum to celebrate a new exhibit on Rocky Glen. The exhibit features the original bronze plaque from the park’s Swiss Cottage. The plaque was donated to the Society in June.
For additional information, call the Lackawanna Historical Society at (570) 344-3841