A second-class action lawsuit has been filed against the Judge Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., Senior Judge Michael T. Conahan and others allegedly involved in a scheme to collect millions of dollars to facilitate the development of a pair of juvenile detention centers.
Attorney Barry Dyller, of Wilkes-Barre, filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court, hours after attorney Michael Cefalo, of West Pittson, announced he had filed a similar action.
Like Cefalo, Dyller names the judges and a number of their associates and related businesses as defendants. They are:
* Barbara Conahan and Cindy Ciavarella, the judges’ wives.
* Attorney Robert J. Powell, a former co-owner of the juvenile facilities.
* Gregory Zappala, the other co-owner of the juvenile centers.
* Pa. Child Care LLC and Western Pa. Child Care LLC, the companies that own the facilities.
* Robert K. Mericle and Mericle Construction Inc., the developers of the centers.
* Pinnacle Group of Jupiter LLC, a firm operated by Ciavarella and Conahan
* Vision Holdings LLC, a firm operated by Powell