Ex-Cop Faces More than 250 years in prison for Rape

Daniel Holtzclaw

 After more than 45 hours deliberation, the all White jurors selected for the trial recommended a total of 263 years of prison time for former Oklahoma City police officer, Daniel Ken Holtzclaw in his spree of crimes against 13 African American women.  He was found guilty of 18 of 36 charges which included first-degree rape, second-degree rape, sexual battery, stalking, burglary, indecent exposure, and forcible oral sodomy.

Prosecutors say the Oklahoma City officer selected his victims based on their criminal histories, confident their drug or prostitution records, as well as their race, would undermine any claims they might make against him. He would then subject them to assaults that escalated from groping to oral sodomy and rape.

Holtzclaw, who is half white and half Japanese, trusted that the systematic anti-black racism of the American criminal justice system would protect him. He was wrong.

The assaults took place in range of places, including in his police car. One young victim, only 17 at the time, was raped on her mother’s front porch. another victim, Shandegreon “Sade” Hill, said she was handcuffed to a hospital bed when Holtzclaw forced her to perform sex against her will.

His trial concluded Wednesday, December 9, 2015 which was also his 29th birthday. Formal sentencing is set for next month.

Recently the AP identified over 1,000 police officers in America who’d lost their badges over a six-year period for rape, sodomy and assault.

In a yearlong investigation of sexual misconduct by U.S. law enforcement, The Associated Press uncovered about 1,000 officers who lost their badges in a six-year period for rape, sodomy and other sexual assault; sex crimes that included possession of child pornography; or sexual misconduct such as propositioning citizens or having consensual but prohibited on-duty intercourse.

The number is unquestionably an undercount because it represents only those officers whose licenses to work in law enforcement were revoked, and not all states take such action. California and New York — with several of the nation’s largest law enforcement agencies — offered no records because they have no statewide system to decertify officers for misconduct. And even among states that provided records, some reported no officers removed for sexual misdeeds even though cases were identified via news stories or court records.

Read the full story:  Bigstory.ap.org



One woman asked:  if I were pulled over, how do I indicate to the officer pulling me over that I am waiting until we get to an area where I feel safe?   I live in a rural area and at times will be more than twenty minutes from the nearest well-lit visible space. I know that legally there is a way to do it, but how does one demonstrate that they are waiting until they get somewhere more visible and that they are not, in fact, fleeing the scene?


In most states, you can call *77 on your cell to get in contact with the highway patrol in the area. They should be able to relay your intention to the officer following you. Check on your state though, as some use other numbers. You should also turn on your hazards, use the right lane, and travel at normal speed.

ETA: do not use 911

A list of each state’s number can be found below or at:  http://www.ou.edu/police/dpsinfo…

HIghwat Emergency Assistance


Alabama:  Cellphone-only: *HP (star 47)

Alaska:  911

Arizona:  911

Arkansas:  911 or Cellphone-only: *55 (star 55)

California:  911

Colorado:  911 or Cellphone-only: *CSP (star 277) or *DUI (star 384) —to report DUIs

Connecticut:  911 or (800-443-6817)

Delaware:  911

Florida:  911 or 800-459-6861 or Cellphone-only: *FHP (star 347)

Georgia:  911 or Cellphone-only: *GSP (star 477)

Hawaii:  911

Idaho:  911 or 800-233-1212 or Cellphone-only: *ISP (star 477)

Illinois:  911 or Cellphone-only: *999 (star 999)

Indiana:  911

Iowa:  911 or 800-555-HELP (800-555-4357)

Kansas:  911 (Statewide) or Cellphone-only: *HP (star 47 for Salina, KS; *KTA (*482) —Kansas Turnpike and for Wichita, KS

Kentucky:  911 or 800-222-5555

Louisiana:  911 or Cellphone-only: *LHP (star 547); Lake Ponchartrain Causeway: *27 (star 27 —cellphone-only) or 504-893-6250

Maine:  911 or Cellphone-only: *SP (star 77)

Maryland:  911 or Cellphone-only: #SP (pound 77)

Massachusetts:  Cellphones: *MSP (star 677) – in the 413 areacode; *SP (star 77) —outside the 413 areacode

Michigan:  911

Minnesota:  911

Mississippi:  Cellphone only: *HP (star 47)

Missouri:  Cellphone-only: *55 (star 55) or 800-525-5555

Montana:  911 (emergency only) or 800-525-5555 (non-emergency)

Nebraska:  911 or 800-525-5555 or Cellphone-only:*55 (star 55)

Nevada:  911 or Cellphone-only:*NHP (star 647)

New Hampshire:  911 or 800-622-2394 or Cellphone-only: *SP (star 77)

New Jersey:  911 or Cellphone-only: #77 (pound 77 —to report aggressive driving)

New Mexico:  911 or 505-827-9301

New York:  911

North Carolina:  Cellphone only: *HP (star 47) or 800-662-7956

North Dakota:  911

Ohio:  911 or 800-525-5555 (OHP) or 800-877-7PATROL

(Ohio only, to report non-emergency safety concerns) or 800-GRAB-DUI (to report erratic driving)

Oklahoma:  Cellphone-only *55 (star 55)

Oregon:  911

Pennsylvania:  911 or Cellphone-only: *11 (star 11) —on turnpikes

Rhode Island:  911 or Cellphone-only: *SP (star 77) or 401-444-1069

South Carolina:  Cellphone only: *HP (star 47)

South Dakota:  911

Tennessee:  Cellphone-only: *THP (star 847) or 615-741-2060

Texas:  911 or 800-525-5555 or Cellphone-only: *DPS (star 377)

Utah:  911 or Cellphone-only: *11 (star 11)

Vermont:  911 or DWI Hotline: 800-GETADWI and *DWI (star 394 —cellphone-only)

Virginia:  911 or Cellphone-only: #SP (pound 77)

U.S. Virgin Islands:  911

Washington:  911

West Virginia:  Cellphone-only: *SP (star 77)

Wisconsin:  911

Wyoming:  Cellphone only: #HELP (pound 4357) or 800-442-9090

 When in doubt:

0 (zero) —Operator assistance or 411 —local directory assistance or (area code) + 555-1212 —non-local directory assistance

 MANY STATES:  511 (for Road/Weather/Traffic Conditions)

511 —”America’s Traveler Information Telephone Number”, providing current road conditions & construction/closure information.

About half the states currently have working 511 systems statewide or in some cities/areas. Almost all states have received funding to set up 511 systems.

Click here to visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration(NHWA) “511” webpage for a state-by-state map/listing of 511 systems.


Categories: Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: